"If You Pour The Beer They Will Come"

Tuesday, August 17, 2010



What a beautiful day for a road race August 14th turned out to be. And that was especially good, because I had decided to expand my racing circle despite battling a back injury. Brewster, Ma. was the scene and was, with traffic, 4 plus hours away from my home. Brewster is part of Cape Cod and the cape has many races during the year. So when I saw the 32nd Annual Brewster Brew run I was curious. Then I saw "free adult beverages after the race" in the description and the decision was made.
I needed a light hearted, fun race and this seemed to fit the bill. The scene was the Brewster Inn and in the second picture you can see the crowd that read the same description that I did. Over 1500 that I know of ran and walked. It was sunny and 80 degrees. What more do you need to call the day great? Oh yes, and there was that free beer thing.
The 3rd picture is of the WONDERFUL group of people that that pulled the taps, that filled the glasses, that made the runners happy.
A great meeting happened that day. I noticed Bill wearing a DMSE tee shirt and just had to meet him. For the people that are just starting to look at this website and get to know me, there is a significance to who's initials DM stand for. When I was running across the country there was someone else doing the same thing, on 90% of the same roads, at the same time. This man's name is Dave McGillivray. My name is in the book he wrote "The Last Pick" and many people know him because he is the race director for the Boston Marathon, has many more running accomplishments, and owns DMSE, a company which amongst other things organizes and puts on fund raising and running events all over the world.
It turns out that Bill was on a relay team, with Dave, that ran across the country. The unique thing about their course was that it was VERY close to the exact course I had run. Dave posted an on line diary as they went. Not known to them, as I read the diary I went through ups and downs because I could see in my mind exactly where they were, what the terrain was, and could replay in my mind myself running through the very spot they happened to be on any given day. Bill and his wife Anna were a great way to start the day. "Thank You".
Do you like beautiful days? Do you like great people? Do you like free beer? Then this race is one you definitely want to check out when it comes around again next year. There is another story and many more pictures about this race in the next entry. Check it out.






Latest News