A Dollar-A Penny-And 11 Cents--Welcome To 2011 In Lowell, Ma.

Monday, January 3, 2011

--- What were you doing at 5:30-5:45am on January 1st. Since I had stayed out bringing in the new year until around 1:30 New Years Eve, I was wondering why I had decided I was going to run a race 2 hours from my home that started at 11:00am. And, if you have gotten to know me, you know I like to get to the races 2 hours early (i.e. wake up 5:30, out the door by 7, little voice inside saying "what the h___ are you doing?", arrival in Lowell at 9am).
---The first photo you see is the sun coming up on January 1, 2011. In case you missed the rising sun on the new year, I took this picture out of the windshield at 75(oops) 65 miles an hour just for you.
---After arriving at the Elks Lodge, along with watching the sun rise, I started feeling better about following through on my race decision. Then I went inside to register and there were Pam and Pam with their great smiles, and I knew I was in the right place. Plus, somehow knowing the night I had had, the organizers put pretty woman at the table who had the same names. I'm convinced they were there so I wouldn't appear a complete idiot trying to remember 2 different names. Thank You. Plus the Pam on my right remembered me from a race 2 years ago in West Chelmsford.
---I have a secret to share with you. So don't tell anyone--ok??During the week leading to this race I kept talking about doing the 10k run (both 5 & 10 k were offered). But when I walked up to register, after the long night, early alarm, and 2 hour drive I registered for the 5k.
---So what's the picture of the coins???? Absolutely true story. As I walked back through a parking lot to my truck after registering, I noticed a round object that looked like a token of some sort in a puddle. I, for some reason, picked it up and while sitting in the truck I wiped it off. Turns out it is a $1 coin. On the way home I stopped at a rest area on Rt90 and when I got out of the truck I noticed a penny at my feet. So I picked it up. When I got back to my home area I went and got my pictures developed and while paying at the register I noticed a dime and a penny on the floor, so I picked them up.
---I don't normally spend my days looking for money on the ground....IN CASE YOU WERE WONDERING. But for some reason that day I noticed these coins. Later on that day I realized I had found a dollar, a penny, and 11 cents. You might already know where I'm going with this. And I believe it to be coincidence. But, I found 1 dollar, 1 cent, and 11 cents(in that order) on 1/1/11 . Personally I just thought it was kinda cool. And It proves, however, that it pays to run. TRUE STORY.
---There are some pictures showing some of the great people that were at this great race on such a great day that you can see and read about in the next entry.
---Go and enjoy this race next year. You'll truly be glad you did.













Latest News